Monday, October 10, 2011

51

This is my 51st entry. I've been doing this for over a year now, the first - my blog, my chosen lifestyle , was Oct. 4th, 2010.

In some ways I didn't realize when I set out on this journey in June 2010, what I was getting into. It's been scary and tough at times (and absolutely wonderful, and the smartest thing I've ever done..), but I'm really thankful that I'm where I am right now. Hell, as my Boss said in a recent online chat:

"so, when do you want more work?
fuck, that sounds good. You live in the most beautiful spot on earth, and someone sends you work remotely."

Yeah, it's pretty good. I live in Tofino, and am slowly carving out a role as a nomadic lawyer/artist/writer. What people don't see is what it's taken to get here, and I have had moments when I've been sick, or wet, cold and alone, and thought, "jesus Pat, you gave up (insert item here - home/job/girlfriend) for this? - you're an idiot"
And I wonder sometimes if I am just a 'pilgrim' - someone looking for a shrine he's never found.

He's a poet, he's a picker--
He's a prophet, he's a pusher--
He's a pilgrim and a preacher, and a problem when he's stoned--

But then I think of the other things people don't see: the support and the love. My brother is chief in that realm (although maybe he is seen.. ;). But I don't think he knows, every time I stray a little farther from shore - that I couldn't do it without him, that every time I'm ready to break, or throw in the towel - he suddenly appears. And my awesome friends, Jesse James and his lovely Queen, the angel Gabriel, Button, An'K, Laura Dern, Gordie Howe - all support me in ways I'm not sure they realize.

I still feel like a charioteer - trying to master two opposing forces in my life - one is that Pilgrim, a wanderer from start to finish, in youth a perfect gypsy, loved and untouchable, in old age -a toothless madman, gibbering prophecy and dispensing wisdom, pissing in people's bushes. The other is a hero, a knight, with the highest of hopes and ideals- trying to save the damsel, slay the dragon, and find the holy grail. Somewhere in between there's a guy who has bills to pay and likes to have a warm bath occassionally.

And where does love fit into all this? Some people are fine without it, but I'm still looking for my giant-souled warrior woman / partner in sectret love and bold enterprise. Yet one would think that I was trying to set up a life where love was pretty much an impossibility. Maybe I'm just scared.

But the fact is, through all the self-doubt - I am getting closer to what I want: yoking all these opposing forces to a direction they can all abide by - a life of travel and adventure, of yes - slaying dragons (even little ones), speaking for those with no voice, protecting the weak, being a lawyer, artist, writer, wanderer - an errand knight. To me "err" and "knight" mean - admit your imperfections, but still shoot for the stars.

I write this blog to let others know that they are not alone in striving for a good life, their dreams, and to find meaning through action in this swirling, great, mysterious world. I feel connected to the occupiers of Wall St, youth in Syria, indigenous people all over the world throwing off the yoke of colonialism - to strive for freedom and justice is to be alive - and that includes kicking off social and cultural norms to create a new way of living.
The one I'm trying to create is one where we openly seek to be our best, to do our best - to show our love and gratitude for all of creation - through action. And where we're honest and open about who we are, our pleasures, needs, and shortcomings. And where we are accepting of those things in others. I believe in every moment we are creating our world, for better or worse - and this is one of the ways I hope to make it better.

Will I ever find my warrior princess? I assume she'll show up when she's ready. If not I'll go live on Mt. Shasta one day, and take her as my lover.
I invite fate, or nature, to decide...

... when white morning
Runs with a shout along the jagged mountains
Strength of a cotton thread draws out to Ariadne
The Bravest Soldier, The Wisest Judge,
The Mightiest King!

In the meantime I have an awesome life - walking this path alone, but not alone:

treading it with (happy) feet
until it meets some larger way
where many paths and errands meet..

Soul is Freedom. Love is Power. Hope is Love. Dreams are Revolutions...

1 comment:

  1. The Pilgrim: Chapter 33 - Kris Kristofferson
    Ariadne at the Labyrinth - Thomas Merton
    The Road Goes Ever On - J.R.R. Tolkien
    Soul - the source of this quote is unknown, to me and Google anyway...

    ReplyDelete