Thursday, May 17, 2012

Pentecost / our marching orders / the river's edge

CLEANSE ME
DEEP IN THE FIRE
I HAVE
BECOME PURE WATER

I WEAR MY SWORD
AT MY SIDE

I knew it was out there, I thought it was in Perceval; The Story of The Grail, by Chretien De Troyes. I'm usually pretty good at leafing through a book to the page I want, but could not. I think it's actually in Ywain: Knight of the Lion. I loved that one, but gave it away...

What I was looking for was: when the Knights of the Round Table set out on their quest for the Holy Grail. I thought it was on Pentecost, but in fact it was the day after. They were inspired on Pentecost, when they saw the Grail. King Arthur held a feast, and they said - we must have an adventure before we can eat. Then the Grail, veiled, came to them. They were awed.
Gawain, impetuous, announced he would go on a quest to see it revealed, and the other knights took the pledge. Arthur knew this was the end of Camelot in a way, because it would separate them all. He was right - but it was also the beginning. For this act (whether real or mythical) was the root of the archetype created in western culture; the knight on a spiritual quest, the warrior seeking perfection through a cause greater than himself.
I came across this, from a book called Temple and Contemplation:

Pentecost is the main feast of the Grail Temple. ... and the spirituality of the Grail knights is dominated by the mystery of Pentecost...

I had been thinking to write this entry after Pentecost, about what I did on that day. But the signs said to write it now. In doing so I have learned a lot about the Festival - it's both Christian and Jewish, Moses was given the ten commandments on Pentecost. The Knights of the Round Table saw the Grail on Pentecost and were inspired to their Quest. It is a Catholic tradition, but many other Christian groups also recognize it.

I have had something personal in mind, a ritual, that I wanted to do on this day to celebrate, and emulate, the Knights of the Round Table heading out on their quest. In 2012 Pentecost is on Sunday, May 27th.

The day was drawn to my attention two years ago. I was living in Ontario, frustrated with life, and wanting to live my 'spiritual purpose' more fully. I had plans with friends that Sunday, which was social contact I sorely needed. I felt that something, I knew not what, was more important, however, and stayed home. I did a ritual where I relinquished the past, and past promises, and recommitted myself to my highest purpose. I committed to use my worldly skills and knowledge for good, and I used my sword in the ritual to represent that worldly skill and knowledge. I told a friend about it later, and how the strange urge to do all that had possessed me that Sunday, and she said, "you know it's Pentecost, right?" I had not. I find it's good to re-commit. And that rituals have power to transform.

So I chose to do this entry beforehand, to share this plan with you, because we're all...  one. I will keep what I do on Pentecost to myself and my inner circle. I invite you to have your own Pentecost, to set out on your own Holy mission, to set your own Quest for the highest good in yourself and your world; to accept your marching orders from God.

Again I'll say - it's 2012. Whether that means anything other than what we make it - why not make it mean something? I dare you to commit to your highest good.

To me the image of a river plays a part, like a baptism, but down to the root of it: water washes us clean, and passing under it is symbolic of rebirth. Leave your old self behind, and become your next incarnation. In whatever river you choose to immerse yourself, whether it's water or air, real or symbolic, let it take away all the old lies and deadwood about who you are, and then rise up from it to be your best expression on this Earth. What is that? Holy Warrior, High Priestess, King, Magician, Bodhisattva, Servant, Mother, Artist, Creator?

And it's good and it's true, let it wash over you
Untethered and without a reason

3 comments:

  1. Swords - Leftfield featuring Nicole Willis
    Temple and Contemplation - I forget the authors, I found it online.
    River's edge - Great Lake Swimmers

    ReplyDelete
  2. You raise an interesting point that Pentecost is both Jewish and Christian. The Old Testament Feast of Weeks, as it was called, represented the early summer harvest, first fruits, and the Church is called first fruits in the New Testament.

    That also raises a question, if the Church is the first fruits, who is the main harvest? I try to answer this in my article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Penman, Sorry to be so long to respond! I appreciate your comments.
    I read your article, and started the one it referenced.
    I liked your point that there is a plan for everyone regardless of when and where they lived. However, I couldn't really figure out what you meant by first fruits, or how that plan for everyone takes shape.

    I wonder if this day also crops up in other religions/Paganism etc.

    ReplyDelete