Tuesday, May 3, 2011

San Francisco and the Winds of Change

Just got back from a road-trip to San Francisco. It was my third time there in less than a year, and this time (again) I saw a very different face of it, and yes - grew to love it even more.
What a great city.

I went with a friend from back east. She was Assistant Navigator. She brought two stuffed animals my brother gave me last year, that I had left in Halifax in February - Charlie (a clingy monkey) and Mully (a cool-headed pelican). They helped navigate, although I still ended up doing it sometimes...
I picked her up at the airport in Vancouver, we crossed the border at midnight and drove down on the I5, stopping the first night in Washington somewhere, and the second at Mt. Shasta. We drove up the mountain the next morning, between walls of snow, and got out and walked around. It was not that big a deal for either of us - reminding me that you can't relive profound experiences.

We got to San Francisco late in the afternoon on Friday and rented a little motel room downtown for two nights -the Orchard Hotel. It was clean and very quiet, and staff was great. We mostly wandered around town - walked all day Saturday - went to Castro, the gay neighboorhood, which was cool, stopped by the Human Rights Centre and Store, we walked all over Haight, upper and lower, and went to Mission.
Haight was a lot like Kensington Market in Toronto. It used to be a centre of activity in the 70's - but I don't think the revolution is being plotted there anymore, although it's still got a cool vibe, neat shops, pubs/cafes, and lots of interesting people.
As neighboorhood's go Mission was probably more my speed, a little rougher around the edges and more interesting, but I think we were both a bit hungry and zoned out while there.
We actually had trouble finding good vegetarian food options (she's veggie) in SF, and ended up neuroticising about food a fair bit. I do that on my own when travelling, but it was wierd to have a partner in it.
As my readers know - I generally travel alone. Our travelling styles were similar enough (in both good and bad ways) that it worked pretty well - enjoying chatting with people as we go, making decisions at the last minute, and/or over-analysing small decisions about food and places to stay.
We left San Francisco Monday morning, crossed the Golden Gate Bridge, and drove up the coast road - Highway 1, through Fort Bragg, then to the 101, and stopped at Arcata for food at the health food store. This was the first place my navigator got something good to eat, but it was about 7:30, and this was lunch! I think we hit a time warp on that drive, or maybe were kidnapped by aliens for a few hours (have I been reprogrammed? ;)). I had a blood-sugar-freak-out afterwards.
It was a hell of an intense drive, and I was a bit fried at the end of it. About 3500 km in five days, with two of those not drivng at all... ouch. Highway 1 is, however, so worth it. So gorgeous. We stopped and looked at some redwoods, walked on a beautiful beach, and otherwise, well - drove. Really, a full ten days should be the minimum for such a trip but hey - this was all we had! I'd still rather travel than not. As far as all that driving goes - I know that I'm an environmental disaster. I'll just have to make up for it.

We spent that night in Oregon, then stopped in Victoria for a night at her friend's place, who is awesome.

At the end of the journey we ended up sitting in the car for four hours waiting for the ferry to Vancouver. It was a good time to nap (we were totally exhausted), digest the trip a bit, and feel.

I've had trouble blogging at times over the last few months, because this blog has been so intensely personal, and that has been part of the point - so people could see and understand my journey, both inside and out. But I've found it challenging with someone in my life - to know where to draw the line.

A lot has changed in my life over the last few weeks, my friend whose place I have been staying at is moving to Saskatoon, leaving one less great friend in Vancouver, and less importantly - me looking for a new place to live, which I now have.  The biggest change for me is - I've committed to being in Vancouver - finding work and building some community here. Why? It's summer and it's a great city - there's tons of cool stuff to do and cool people to do it with.

Oh, mirror in the sky, what is love
Can the child within my heart rise above
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides
Can I handle the seasons of my life


Again, I turn my ship into the wind, this time, however, I don't feel a gathering storm, but a rising breeze. A friend said to me years ago, and I think I've quoted before, "stow your oars and hoist your sails." As soon as I committed to stay in Vancouver things started falling into place - work and home.

Thanks, Assistant Navigator, for your grace, humour, friendship, obsessing, and some pretty good navigating ;). It looks like the winds of change were blowing through us both in San Francisco, planting whispers in our ears of better things to come, reminders of a bigger world. I enjoyed the hours of talking about life, over a steering wheel and tires rolling out ribbons of mile behind us.
I'm thankful for another visit to California. Each time it becomes more clear that I'll probably live there some day, in some way. Each time I go I am changed.

The winds of change are still blowing fair, sails are ruffling, I'm checking my map, adjusting my compass, and looking to the distant horizon.

The whole course of things goes to teach us faith. We need only obey. There is guidance for each of us, and by lowly listening we shall hear the right word.
Why need you choose so painfully your place and occupation and associates and modes of action and of entertainment? Certainly there is a possible right for you that precludes the need of balance and willful election. For you there is a reality, a fit place and congenial duties. Place yourself in the middle of the stream of power and wisdom which animates all whom it floats, and you are without effort impelled to truth, to right and a perfect contentment.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 comment:

  1. Loving yourself/mission without ego is a razor's edge..
    ..and you're walking it well, brother.

    ReplyDelete