Thursday, July 28, 2011

Travels on Mother Earth

I have no parents--I make the heavens and earth my parents.

This entry is pretty much a continuation of the last one. But different. I've been marvelling at the world lately, the revolutions in the Middle East, Bolivia: passing laws recognizing the rights of Mother Earth? Who would have guessed that ten years ago? Count on an indigenous government to lead the way. Not that we euro's are stupid, but we've been leading for a while, and have gotten us as far as we can.

It's a beautiful document, and statement.
http://motherearthrights.org/

affirming that to guarantee human rights it is necessary to recognize and defend the rights of Mother Earth and all beings in her and that there are existing cultures, practices and laws that do so;
...
Article 1. Mother Earth
1. Mother Earth is a living being.
2. Mother Earth is a unique, indivisible, self-regulating community of interrelated beings that sustains, contains and reproduces all beings.
3. Each being is defined by its relationships as an integral part of Mother Earth.
4. The inherent rights of Mother Earth are inalienable in that they arise from the same source as existence.
5. Mother Earth and all beings are entitled to all the inherent rights recognized in this Declaration without distinction of any kind, such as may be made between organic and inorganic beings, species, origin, use to human beings, or any other status.
6. Just as human beings have human rights, all other beings also have rights which are specific to their species or kind and appropriate for their role and function within the communities within which they exist.
7. The rights of each being are limited by the rights of other beings and any conflict between their rights must be resolved in a way that maintains the integrity, balance and health of Mother Earth.

My parents have passed on, as any readers know, so making the Heavens and Earth my parents is not a tough one for me. But in a way I think we all need to do that - like any new religion - abandon our old ways, our attachments to old things, and make the Earth and the Universe our parents.

At the same time I've started reading the Bhagwan again - Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh (OSHO), and can't escape his dictates - that the most powerful thing is to simply be yourself. We are both dark and light, mostly we live in the past or future in our minds, but occasionally we manage to just be here, as us. Meditation helps..

And watched One Week the other night - about a guy who gets diagnosed with cancer and chucks everything to drive a Norton motorcycle across Canada. A lovely Canadian film, it reminded me of my travels and so many journeys to those places - the Sudbury Nickel to Tofino to Alberta's rolling hills. But the point is - we all have a week to live. Or less.

A teenage boy heard about the new law in Bolivia and said to his Dad - "I want to go there and be part of it - to see Mother Earth." His Dad said, "really?" and looked at him, looked down at the ground. The boy looked down at the ground. Silence. He looked up, "gotcha."

Mother Earth is right here, being ourselves is right here. We have one week to do it. Whatever it is.

Dark is a way and light is a place,
Heaven that never was
Nor will be ever is always true

No, we have one moment to do it - now. I do want to go to Bolivia, and feel the energy of change, of the future. And I wish I was in the Middle East right now, soaking up revolution. But if I had one week to live, one minute, one moment, here, now, what would it be?

I am on Earth, perfect and imperfect, torn between the past and future, can I simply accept what I am?
I am that.

3 comments:

  1. A Samurai Warrior's Creed
    http://motherearthrights.org/
    Poem on His birthday - Dylan Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Should we do a pseudo-sequel to I AM called..
    WE ARE?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, Pad - I think perhaps we should be recording convos for the future.

    ReplyDelete